(No, not the movie. That kicks ass) Trainspotting is the term for looking over the DJ’s shoulder to see what he’s playing. It’s really fucking irritating. It wasn’t a problem when everyone spun vinyl.
But now we are in the MP3 age and damn near every DJ uses a laptop.
Apparently some people would prefer to look at my computer screen
Instead of dancing, drinking, and having fun. Which makes no sense.
Sometimes I’m in a booth where no one is behind me, so it’s not a problem.
But lots of times I DJ in areas that are more open,
Or have people hanging out in the booth (like friends of owners or promoters)
Other DJs will do it from time to time, even though it’s a known faux pas
They might want to know what song/remix I’m playing so they can get it.
Or they might want to gaze upon the impeccable organization of my music folders.
But they don’t want to actually ask me anything and fear being seen as an inferior DJ
I get that. But I don’t get when random customers come up and start doing it.
What’s the point?
Are you excited that you will know the next song 10 seconds before everyone else does?
Are you going to really remember the name of the song and download it tomorrow?
Are you going to make some suggestions? (Here’s a suggestion – Don’t.)
You don’t look over the shoulder of a painter or writer or, hell, even an accountant.
You wouldn’t want someone looking over your shoulder at work, would you?
Especially with the amount of time you spend playing minesweeper in your cubicle.
- RT @mick_fiction: So I made this book based on my @tumblr with hundreds of contributing DJs & photographers and it's for sale on Amazon htt… 2 weeks ago
- RT @willeastman: Siri, please tell this person trying to make a request that I don't care. 1 month ago
- RT @SheckyGreen: Trapped in the Booth: 15 Songs We Never Need To Hear in the Club Again, by @DJLouieXIV. DJs must read, hilarity -> https:/… 1 month ago
- Resolution/rule for 2015 - leave anytime the DJ plays anything with Fatman Scoop in it. #sadlystillhappens 1 month ago
- Need a gift for the DJ on your list? Get the great No Breasts No Requests book (under $10!) amzn.to/1IYVcRS http://t.co/5EG5xLeZAQ 2 months ago
- RT @DoAndroidsDance: This new Play-N-Skillz track, "Literally I Can't," is 'literally' everything that's wrong with the EDM scene. http://t… 3 months ago
- RT @SlothBoogie: Big up @mick_fiction on making No Breasts No Requests into a book! slothboogie.com/2014/10/no-bre… http://t.co/4SR7B7CvoB 4 months ago