Originally, I wasn’t going to do a post about New Year’s Eve. It seemed like Halloween, but with fancy clothes instead of stupid costumes. But the more I think about it, the more I hate NYE.
First of all, it is the most Amateur of all Amateur Nights.
Every year I’ve DJed on NYE, I’ve seen drunks get carried out…before midnight.
Plus most places charge ridiculous amounts for their NYE party package,
so people think they are entitled to unlimited requests with their unlimited cheap champagne.
And at an NYE party, all people want to hear are the big hits from the past year.
So, not only do I have to play the most recent B.E.P. song,
but I have to play the other 4 that were the “greatest song ever, OMG!” this year.
Then there’s the countdown, which is what the party is all about anyway.
Usually the manager/owner/promoter is too busy trying to give champagne to cute girls
so he forgets to coordinate the countdown with the actual time and fucks it up.
Counting backward is difficult for drunk people, so this is important.
At midnight, I have to play ‘Auld Lang Syne‘ while people make out for five minutes.
(While I stand in the booth and make out with a bottle of Veuve. Bonus!)
Then after playing that slow, Scottish song, I have to jump right back into dance music.
The rest of the night is basically poor dancing, awkward make-outs, and people puking.
But, at least it gives DJs a chance to charge five times their usual rate.
- Dear creators of iDeeJay, Please don't. Thanks, DJs everywhere https://t.co/Vki4hlyHyK 2 months ago
- RT @PlayItNowApp: 'Look stop going up to the DJ booth and making requests. You're embarrassing me.' #djlife #DJ #DJBooth #music https://t.c… 3 months ago
- RT @TheDJGospel: So much truth right here and that is the Gospel #DJ https://t.co/Lt3S1NzI76 4 months ago
- Thank you, Fergie, for popping up on BBQ playlists this holiday weekend and reminding us all that you're the worst. 5 months ago
- RT @djcastle: Requesting a big radio hit is always a good idea, cause DJs need to know. Especially real early in the night - we love that s… 5 months ago
- Styles upon styles upon styles... #RIPPhifeDawg 8 months ago
- #TBT to that time @Numark "borrowed" my drawing for their tweet. Thanks! #TeamPioneer https://t.co/0YTgbPpqGm 9 months ago