Originally, I wasn’t going to do a post about New Year’s Eve. It seemed like Halloween, but with fancy clothes instead of stupid costumes. But the more I think about it, the more I hate NYE.
First of all, it is the most Amateur of all Amateur Nights.
Every year I’ve DJed on NYE, I’ve seen drunks get carried out…before midnight.
Plus most places charge ridiculous amounts for their NYE party package,
so people think they are entitled to unlimited requests with their unlimited cheap champagne.
And at an NYE party, all people want to hear are the big hits from the past year.
So, not only do I have to play the most recent B.E.P. song,
but I have to play the other 4 that were the “greatest song ever, OMG!” this year.
Then there’s the countdown, which is what the party is all about anyway.
Usually the manager/owner/promoter is too busy trying to give champagne to cute girls
so he forgets to coordinate the countdown with the actual time and fucks it up.
Counting backward is difficult for drunk people, so this is important.
At midnight, I have to play ‘Auld Lang Syne‘ while people make out for five minutes.
(While I stand in the booth and make out with a bottle of Veuve. Bonus!)
Then after playing that slow, Scottish song, I have to jump right back into dance music.
The rest of the night is basically poor dancing, awkward make-outs, and people puking.
But, at least it gives DJs a chance to charge five times their usual rate.
- RT @mick_fiction: Modern day trainspotting via @angrydjlife. @StuffDJsHate https://t.co/j1ejMfToOI 2 months ago
- RT @DJOra: Yelling in the mic throughout an entire DJ set is wack & if you like that type of stuff, you don't know what a real DJ is. 2 months ago
- I wonder what Chingy is up to 2 months ago
- Tiesto Started a Bad Reality Show to Make Bad DJs Famous - thump.vice.com/en_us/article/… 5 months ago
- New Zac Efron movie looks great. He plays a DJ who boldly mixes from 125BPM all the way up to 128BPM. Amazing! #WAYF 8 months ago
- RT @danideahl: I never understood why people get pissed about remixing classic songs. Bruh...the original still exists I promise, go check. 10 months ago
- All that mixing and cutting and sound effects is cute and all, but sometimes you gotta just PLAY THE FUCKING SONG 10 months ago